Share our content:
Lingfield Park’s track was resurfaced with Polytrack in October 2012. Along with the construction of the grandstand and a 4* Marriott Hotel in 2004, this places Lingfield Park firmly on the map as a major racing, conference and leisure destination with excellent facilities.
Lingfield Park is the only racecourse in Great Britain to offer all three codes of racing – flat all-weather, flat turf and National Hunt racing. It hosts around 90 fixtures a year with highlights on the flat including the All-Weather Championships Finals Day and Derby and Oaks Trials Day, along with the Surrey National over the jumps in February.
Located in a 450-acre (1.8 km) estate and opened in 1890 by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), who also agreed to let Lingfield Park incorporate the Prince of Wales feathers into its official heading, the course initially held Jumps Racing only. In 1894 The Jockey Club granted permission for Flat Racing to be held and it has continued ever since.
In 1982 the new owners installed flood defences on the estate to alleviate flooding. A golf course was developed and this opened in June 1987. Arena Leisure Plc purchased the course in 1991 and in 2001 made the decision to replace the Equitrack All-Weather surface with Polytrack, opening later that same year.
The All-Weather track runs around the inside of the turf. It is a left-handed loop and follows much the same line as the turf course in the home straight and the back straight, but turns sharply for home at the end of the back straight and is 1m 2f in length. The track gently rises to a slight hill at the start of the back straight before running downhill around the bottom corner and into the home straight where it levels off. The result is that the 1m, 7f, 6f and 5f starts are all downhill which contributes to Lingfield being the sharpest of the All-Weather tracks.
Contact The Course
Clerk of the Course: George Hill
Mob: 07581 119984